Statement of Faith
1. The Scriptures :: We believe that the Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired, and is a perfect treasure of heavenly instruction; that it has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture of error for its matter. It is the true center of Christian union, and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and opinions should be tried.
2. Of The True God :: We believe that there is one, and only one, living and true God, an infinite, intelligent Spirit, the Maker and Supreme Ruler of heaven and earth; that in the unity of the Godhead there are three persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost; equal in every divine perfection, and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption.
3. Of The Incarnation :: We believe that Jesus Christ the second person of the Trinity is God, of one substance with the Father and Holy Ghost, who in the fullness of time was born of the Virgin Mary, taking on a second nature, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ, for our salvation.
4. Of The Fall Of Man :: We believe that Man was created in holiness but by voluntary transgression fell from that holy and happy state; in consequence of which all mankind are now sinners, not by constraint but choice; being by nature utterly void of that holiness required by the law of God, positively inclined to evil; and therefore under just condemnation to eternal ruin, without defense or excuse.
5. Of The Way Of Salvation :: We believe that the salvation of sinners is wholly of grace; through Jesus Christ; who freely took upon him our nature, yet without sin; honored the divine law by his personal obedience, and by his death made a full atonement for our sins; that having risen from the dead he is now enthroned in heaven. He is the all-sufficient Savior.
6. Of Justification :: We believe that the great Gospel blessing which Christ secures to such as believe in Him is Justification; that Justification includes the pardon of sin, and the promise of eternal life on principles of righteousness; that it is bestowed, not in consideration of any works of righteousness which we have done, but solely through faith in the Redeemer’s blood; by which His perfect righteousness is freely imputed to us; that it brings us into a state of most blessed peace and favor with God, and secures every other blessing needful for time and eternity.
7. Of Grace In Regeneration :: We believe that, in order to be saved, sinners must be regenerated, or born again; that regeneration consists in giving a holy disposition to the mind by the power of the Holy Spirit, in connection with divine truth, so as to secure our voluntary response to the gospel; and that its proper evidence appears in the holy fruits of repentance, and faith, and newness of life.
8. Of Sanctification :: We believe that Sanctification is the process by which, according to the will of God, we are made partakers of his holiness; that it is begun in regeneration; and that it is carried on in the hearts of believers by the presence and power of the Holy Spirit, in the continual use of the appointed means, – especially, the word of God, self-examination, self-denial, watchfulness and prayer.
9. Of The Perseverance Of Saints :: We believe that such only are real believers as endure unto the end; that their persevering attachment to Christ is the grand mark which distinguishes them from superficial professors; that a special Providence watches over their welfare; and they are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation.
10. Of A Gospel Church :: We believe that a visible church of Christ is a congregation of believers, associated by covenant in the faith and fellowship of the Gospel; observing the ordinances of Christ.
11. Of Baptism And The Lord’s Supper :: We believe that Christian Baptism is the immersion in water of a believer, into the name of the Father, and Son, and Holy Ghost; to show forth our faith in the crucified, buried, and risen Savior, with its effect, in our death to sin and resurrection to a new life. The Lord’s Supper is the commemoration together of the dying love of Christ; by the sacred use of bread and wine, preceded always by solemn self-examination.
12. Of The World To Come :: We believe that the end of the world is approaching; that at the last day Christ will descend from heaven, and raise the dead from the grave to final retribution; that a solemn separation will then take place; that the wicked will be adjudged to endless punishment, and the righteous to endless joy; and that this judgment will fix forever the final state of men in heaven or hell, on principles of righteousness.